3.10.2003

COMMENTARY - Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I live in America. Last I checked, our national language here was English. Could somebody please tell me why we're bending over backwards for Spanish speakers then? I understand that citizens of many Spanish speaking craphole countries south of the border are exiting en masse, many of them illegally, to the U.S., but what makes them think we need to learn their language, and they can get off without learning ours? Now don't take me for racist in any form. If I lived in a craphole country like that I'm sure I'd do anything to get out to a better place as well. Consider that a criticism of their government, not of the people. But if I move into some other country, I recognize that I damn well better learn the language there if I hope to make it. Yet somehow all these Spanish speakers are getting away with it. I guess they figure if enough of them move to our country, they can push the English illiteracy rate high enough to force the widespread adoption of Spanish. Seems this ploy is working out quite well, in fact. We have Spanish T.V. stations, Spanish newspapers, magazines, and books, restaurants have menus in Spanish, and even government websites are now published in Spanish. Their language is infiltrating our country and slowly sucking the life out of English. What happened to America, the arrogant playboys of the world? Since when did we start catering to other people? What happened to our belief that since we sit on top of the world, everybody should bend over backwards, cater to us, and learn English? If someone were to walk into the Senate and propose that our national language were to be changed to Spanish, he would be laughed right out of Washington. America is very good at deflecting this sort of frontal assault. But as evidenced by our time spent in Vietnam, what we have a weak defense against are guerilla warfare tactics. This is exactly the sort of attack we are seeing on our national language. A covert infiltration is underway, quietly taking chunks of our nation at a time, until soon English speakers will be among the minority and the replacement of our national language becomes inevitable. So I'm probably exaggerating a bit and being overdramatic, but the issue in some form still remains. I think if nothing else it is a sign that our country is changing. I could not see our nation going to such lengths to accommodate immigrants some decades ago. Welcome them, we certainly did, but cater to them we did not. How this transforming America will affect our lives, for better or for worse, remains to be seen. Perhaps America is just growing up, or perhaps we are growing old.